Charles D. Harris was born in 1840, in England.
Charles was 21 years old and possibly living in Lowell, Kent County, Michigan, when he enlisted in Company D on May 13, 1861; Company D was composed in large part of men who came from western Ionia County and Eaton County. (He was quite possibly related to George Harris, who was also from the vicinity of Lowell in Kent County and who would also reenter the service in the Tenth Michigan cavalry.)
Charles was reported missing in action on June 30, 1862 (probably at White Oak Swamp) during the retreat from Richmond down the Virginia “Peninsula,” but he eventually returned to the Regiment on August 8 at Harrison’s Landing, Virginia. He was mustered out on June 20, 1864, at Detroit.
After his discharge from the army Charles probably returned to Michigan where he apparently reentered the service at the age of 23 in Company I, Tenth Michigan cavalry at Boston, Ionia County on February 9, 1865, for 1 year. (So did George W. Harris; see below.) In any case, Charles is not found in the descriptive rolls for the Tenth Michigan cavalry, but is listed in the 1905 Regimental history for that Regiment. He joined the Regiment on March 16 at Knoxville, Tennessee, and was mustered out with the regiment on November 11, 1865 at Memphis. (All dates identical for George Harris; see below.)
Charles eventually returned to Michigan.
He was married to Michigan native Addie E. or Evangeline (1853-1910), and they had at least three children: Clara (b. 1871), Emma (b. 1874) and Guy (b. 1880).
By 1880 Charles was working as a farmer and living with his wife and children in Brookfield, Eaton County.
Charles was apparently married a second time.
In 1878 he applied for and received a pension (no. 736879).
He was living in Sheridan, Montcalm County in 1890 and in 1911.
Charles died on May 13, 1918, in Sheridan, and may be buried in Sheridan cemetery, in Montcalm County.
His widow applied for a pension (no. 1123025) but the certificate was never granted.