Henry or Heinrich Kampfer was born in 1831 in Germany.
Henry left Germany sometime before the war broke out, and immigrated to the United States, eventually settling in Wisconsin.
He apparently was living in Wisconsin when he enlisted in the Second Battery, Wisconsin Light Artillery on September 15, 1861, and was discharged at Camp Hamilton, Virginia on September 27, 1862.
Henry stood 5’7” with blue eyes, brown hair and a light complexion and was a 33-year-old blacksmith possibly living in Muskegon when he reentered the military in Company F on February 3, 1864, at Grand Rapids for 3 years, crediting Muskegon, and was mustered the same day. (He was possibly the same man who had enlisted as "Henry Kampe" in Company C in 1861.)
“Henry” joined the Regiment on February 17 at Camp Bullock, Virginia, and was transferred to Company F, Fifth Michigan infantry upon consolidation of the Third and Fifth Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864. In October he was reported on detached service, and from November of 1864 through May of 1865 he was serving with the Quartermaster department. He was mustered out on July 5, 1865, at Jeffersonville, Indiana.
After the war he resided in Washington County, Wisconsin and Houghton County, Michigan.
He was married to one Maria Schneider in 1886 in Westbend (?), Wisconsin.
In 1890 (?) he was living in Red Jacket, Houghton County, Michigan and in Calumet, Houghton County in 1897.
He applied for and received a pension (no. 425700) for service in both Michigan and Wisconsin regiments.
According to one source Henry is buried in Houghton County.