Sunday, June 15, 2008

David Lyman and Nelson T. Davis

David Lyman Davis was born 1839 in Adams, Seneca County, Ohio, the son of David and Susan (b. 1803).

There was a David L. Davis reportedly living in Adams, Ohio, in 1840.

In any case, Vermont-born Susan and her son David eventually left Ohio and by 1860 Susan was living with the Oliver Corman (?) family in Ganges, Allegan County, Michigan. Next door lived a farmer named Nathaniel Plummer; his daughter Permelia or Pamelia would eventually marry David.

David stood 5’9” with blue eyes, brown hair and a light complexion and was 22 years old and residing in Allegan County when he enlisted in Company I on May 13, 1861, along with his older brother Nelson. They may have been related to Washington Davis of Company A (his father’s name was Nelson).

According to one source, David and Nelson were among the second wave of recruits to come out of Ottawa County and did not in fact enlist until the end of May, along with Albert Hamlin, Calvin Hall, Joseph Payne, Albert Gardner, James Rhodes, Perry Goshorn, Sylvester Gay, Joseph Solder (Josiah Schuler), Quincy Lamereaux, William Suret and John Ward.

David was taken ill with measles in July of 1861, (Nelson too was struck by measles in 1861) but soon recovered and was on duty with the Third Michigan when he was shot in the right hand on August 29, 1862, at Second Bull Run. He was subsequently absent wounded in Fairfax Seminary hospital from September of 1862 until he was discharged on February 26, 1863, at Camp Convalescent near Alexandria, Virginia, for a “disabled right hand from gunshot wound.”

David listed Ganges, Allegan County as his mailing address on his discharge paper, and probably returned to Allegan County after his discharge. (In 1870 there was a Vermont-born Susan Davis, age 65 living with the Richard Ames family in Saugatuck, Allegan County.)

He married Ohio-born Pamelia H. Plummer (1845-1926), and they had at least one child, a son Clarence (b. 1869).

By 1880 David was working as a farmer and living with his wife and son in Ganges, although by 1885 he was residing in Gaines, Kent County. He had returned to Ganges by 1890, and was still living in Ganges in 1894 where he worked as a fruit solicitor. He eventually settled in Fennville, Allegan County and for many years worked as a merchant. By 1912 he was living in Crichton, Mobile County, Alabama.

In 1878 he applied for and received a pension (no. 975808). He was a member of the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association.

David died at 10:00 a.m. in the People’s Bank of Orchard, Alabama, on November 22, 1913, and his remains were sent to Michigan where he was buried in Taylor cemetery, Ganges next to his brother Nelson.

His widow was living in Crichton, Alabama in 1913 when she applied for and received a pension (no. 774679), drawing $30 by 1926 when she was living in Fennville.

Nelson T. Davis was born in 1837, the son of David and Susan (b. 1803).

There was a David L. Davis reportedly living in Adams, Ohio, in 1840.

In any case, Vermont-born Susan and her family (including at least Nelson and son David) eventually left Ohio (where David had been born) and by 1860 Susan was living with the Oliver Corman (possibly a brother-in-law?) family in Ganges, Allegan County, Michigan.

Nelson was 24 years old and probably living in Ganges when he enlisted in Company I on May 13, 1861, along with his younger brother David (known as Lyman). They may have been related to Washington Davis of Company A (his father’s name was Nelson). According to one source, David and Nelson were among the second wave of recruits to come out of Ottawa County and did not in fact enlist until the end of May, along with Albert Hamlin, Calvin Hall, Joseph Payne, Albert Gardner, James Rhodes, Perry Goshorn, Sylvester Gay, Joseph Solder (Josiah Schuler), Quincy Lamereaux, William Suret and John Ward.

Sometime during 1861 Nelson was struck with measles. (His brother David also suffered from measles in July of 1861.) He eventually recovered (as did his brother) and was on duty with the regiment when it join in the opening phases of McClellan’s Peninsular Campaign in Virginia in the spring of 1861. On May 29th Nelson wrote home to his mother,

It is not much that I have to write this time. I received yours of the 13th last night; it found me in good health and I hope this will find you all as well as it leaves me. You wanted me to help you to a pair of light shoes. Now I would do it if I had the money. From the time we left Yorktown till within a few days I bought my own living for I was sick and could not eat government food. We shall get our pay before many days and when we get it I will send the required amount. I shall not write anything of our late movements for it has been forbidden and I think it . . . is not our business to write home what is transpiring here. It is warm and pleasant here; corn is large enough to hoe; wheat is headed out; string beans are ripe. The season of cherries will soon be at hand and then I will enjoy myself while they last. I was sick with the measles last year when they was ripe. L. [his brother Lyman] has just got back from the spring with some cool water and I feel like indulging to the extent of a canteen full or less. I expect that you will see me at home sometime in July provided we both live for it is my opinion that the game of Rebellion is nearly played out. We made a point [?] at Williamsburg and we will shank [?] them at Richmond. Well I have wrote more than I expected when I commenced but my head is not quite empty so I will . . . write a little more. The Allegan boys are all here and they are all well. Harry Campion has been promoted to a corporalship. I guess that I won’t write much more for I am tired of writing; write often I will write when I can. Love to all and keep a share to yourself.

Nelson added a postscript to his brother (or brother-in-law?) Oliver (Corman?):

I shan’t write to you until you write to me. Oll you had better enlist; Uncle Sam gives us two drinks of good whiskey every day [although] I don’t indulge; he also gives us plenty of hard bread, bacon, sugar and coffee, also plenty of beans. Lyman and I carry a three-quart dish to cool beans in; we can eat the full of it at one meal and wish that it held more. I was pretty hard up for nearly a month but I am well now. I hope that you are in as good health as your humble writer. Well Oll I will close for this time. Write soon. I remain your affectionate brother, Nelson.

Nelson was killed in action on May 31, 1862, at Fair Oaks, Virginia. It is quite likely that his remains were returned to Michigan and he was interred in Taylor cemetery, Ganges, Allegan County; buried next to him is his brother David.

In February of 1863 his mother applied for and received a pension (no. 146670). In 1870 there was a Vermont-born Susan Davis, age 65 living with the Richard Ames family in Saugatuck, Allegan County.

No comments: