This is taken from the official Record of Service of the reorganized 3rd Michigan Infantry as published by the State of Michigan c. 1905.
The Third Michigan Infantry was reorganized in October, 1864, at Grand Rapids, under Col. M. B. Houghton, and was mustered into service the 15th of the month with an enrollment of 879 officers and men. The regiment left Grand Rapids October 20, for Nashville, Tenn. During the month of November the Third was stationed at Decatur, Ala. It then moved to Murfreesboro, Tenn., where it was engaged in picket and scouting duty, and remained at Murfreesboro until January 16, 1865, when it moved to Huntsville, Ala.
In February the regiment was at Huntsville, Ala., and on the 16th of March proceeded to New Market, Tenn., and afterward camped at Bull's Gap and Jonesboro. It was very efficient in driving out the numerous bands of guerillas that infested that portion of the country, and affording protection to the loyal people of Tennessee. After the surrender of the confederate armies in the east, the Third proceeded to New Orleans, La., where it embarked and crossed the Gulf of Mexico to San Antonio, Texas, where it arrived after a fourteen days' march, November 6. It remained here during the winter, doing provost duty, and in May, 1866, it moved to Victoria, where it was mustered out of service.
The regiment was engaged at Decatur, Ala., October 28, 29, 30, 1864; Murfreesboro, Tenn., November 30 to December 20, 1864.
The reorganized Third Michigan Infantry returned to Michigan, was paid and disbanded at Detroit, June 10, 1866.
- Total enrollment: 1,191
- Died of wounds: 2
- Died of disease: 78
- Discharged for disability (wounds and disease): 32