Leander Wood was born on June 3, 1846, in Ohio or Michigan.
Leander stood 5’8” with gray eyes, dark hair and a dark complexion and was a 17-year-old farmer possibly living in Muskegon, Muskegon County when he enlisted in Company E on February 4, 1864, at Grand Rapids for 3 years, crediting Muskegon, and was mustered the same day.
Leander joined the Regiment on February 10, was absent sick probably from April 24 and still absent sick when he was transferred to Company E, 5th Michigan Infantry upon consolidation of the 3rd and 5th Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864. He remained listed as absent sick through May of 1865, but probably until he was discharged on June 26, 1865, from Mower hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
He may have been married to Michigan native Mary (b. 1853).
By 1880 Leander was working as a laborer and living with his wife Mary in Muskegon’s 1st Ward. He was still living in Muskegon in 1888 and in July of 1890 when he applied for and received a pension (no. 573363).
Leander was reported as single and working as a pig buyer when he died of consumption on December 14, 1893, in White Cloud, Muskegon (Newaygo) County, and was presumably buried in White Cloud (although this cannot be confirmed).