Michael P. Long was born on August 12, 1836, in New York City.
Michael left New York and moved westward, eventually settling in Peoria, Illinois sometime before the war broke out (see below).
Michael stood 5’7” with dark eyes and hair and a dark complexion and was 24 years old and working as a clerk, who possibly had reportedly just moved from Peoria, Illinois to Grand Rapids, Michigan, when he enlisted in Company E on May 13, 1861. He was absent sick in a hospital in July of 1862, and was quite probably a corporal when he was wounded on August 29, 1862, at Second Bull Run. He was absent sick or wounded in a hospital in June of 1863, and a Sergeant when he reenlisted on February 18, 1864, at Camp Bullock, Virginia. He was presumably absent on veteran’s furlough from February through March, and probably returned to the regiment on or about the first of April.
Michael was wounded (possibly in the left side) on May 12, 1864, at Spotsylvania, Virginia. According to Lieutenant Colonel Moses B. Houghton, of the 3rd Michigan, Michael was struck by a piece of shell glancing off his chest which threw him to the ground, “between two trees stunning him & disabling him from duty and he was sent to Lincoln General Hospital at Washington where he remained until September 1864.” According to his own statement, in June of 1864, Long “was affected with pains in his lungs & left side, bloating of the body, etc., and was sent to Lincoln Genl Hospital. . . .” He was still hospitalized when he was transferred as First Sergeant to Company E, 5th Michigan Infantry upon consolidation of the 3rd and 5th Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864.
He remained absent sick, possibly in Grand Rapids, until he was discharged for promotion to Captain (commissioned as of July 29) and transfer to Company F, 3rd Reorganized Michigan infantry on October 7, 1864, under the command of Colonel Moses B. Houghton (who had served as staff officer for the original Third infantry). Michael was absent with leave from March 17, 1865, and then was absent sick from September 6, 1865, in the hospital at Victoria, Texas. According to regimental surgeon Dr. Slawson, Long “was attacked with lameness in his side & ultimately proved to result in fever. . . .”
He returned from the hospital on October 20, 1865, when the hospital was broken up and Michael was moved to San Antonio. According to Colonel Houghton, Michael was assigned to the position of chief of police at San Antonio on the staff of Colonel Hall and was also on detached service on a general court martial from January 1, 1866 until relieved from that duty on February 3. He was promoted to brevet Major as of March 13, 1865, and mustered out on May 25, 1866, at Victoria, Texas.
After the war Michael returned to Michigan.
On November 2, 1866, he married Michigan native Elizabeth “Lizzie” Cole (1839-1912) in Detroit. Lizzie had four (?) Charles S. (b. 1858), Douglas (b. 1860), Josephine (b. 1859), and/or Winnifred (b. 1859, Mrs. Green), all from her previous marriage, all of whom were adopted by Michael.
He eventually settled in Adrian, Lenawee County, where he was living in 1867, 1868 and in 1870 Michael was listed as a “pensioner” and living with his wife and two children Charles and Josephine (who were attending school) in Adrian’s 2nd Ward. By 1880 he was working as the County Registrar of Deeds and living on Clinton Street in Adrian with his wife and daughter Winnifred; also living with them was his niece, Lizzie Long. He was still living in Adrian in 1883 and in 1887 when he applied for an increase in his pension. It was reported at that time that since 1886 he had been confined to his bed.
In 1867 he applied for and received a pension (no. 102,196), drawing $18.00 per month for a wounded left side by 1883.
Michael was living with his son “Dr. D. Long” at his son’s home, 743 Fourth Avenue in Detroit where he died on February 22, 1892. (This was Dr. Douglas Long who was living with his wife Illinois native Mary and their children and working as a physician in Detroit’s 4th Ward in 1900. Dr. Douglas Long also signed Michael’s death certificate.)
According to one contemporary, his remains were sent to Adrian where they arrived Friday morning, and were placed under the care of “Funeral Director Conklin, being placed in the vault at Oakwood [cemetery]. A committee from the Woodbury post, G.A.R., met the remains at the depot and escorted them to the vault. A short service was conducted by the Rev. W. K. Spencer.” He was buried in Oakwood cemetery: block 22, lot 52 in Adrian.
In 1892 his widow applied for and received a pension (no. 381,221). She was living at 743 Fourth Avenue in 1892 (presumably with her son Dr. Douglas Long). By 1900 she was living with her daughter Winnifred and her husband Benjamin Green and their family in Detroit’s 16th Ward, Wayne County. In 1910 Lizzie was reported as the head of the household and living in Ballona Township, Los Angeles County, California; also living with her was a grandson, Donald (?) Green. Lizzie died in 1912 in California and was presumably buried there.