Andrew T. Myers was born on October 6, 1845, in Alpine, Kent County, Michigan, the son of Ontario, Canada natives Hiram Myers (1814-1900) and Barbara Traxler (1819-1895).
Andrew’s parents were married in 1834 in Chatham, Ontario, Canada (where Barbara had been born), and resided in Chatham until sometime between between 1843 and 1845, when they settled in first Sparta then Alpine Township, Kent County, Michigan.
In 1847 and 1850 Hiram and his family were living in Plainfield, Kent County, and back in Sparta by 1854. By 1860 his father owned and operated a substantial amount of land in Sparta, Alpine Township. That same year, Andrew, who was 15 years old and still living with the family, was employed carrying mail from Newaygo County to Grand Rapids. He had, it was said later, “a local reputation as a wrestler and as the proprietor of a livery stable in Sparta and . . . was widely known in the vicinity as a judge of” racing horses.
Andrew’s sister Elizabeth married the brother of Allen Thayer; Allen would would join Company F, 3rd Michigan about the same time as Andrew.
Andrew stood 5’5” with hazel eyes, black hair and a dark complexion and was 18 years old and possibly working as a farmer in Muskegon, Muskegon County when he enlisted in Company F on February 8, 1864, at Grand Rapids for 3 years, crediting Muskegon, and was mustered the same day. (His older brother Peter who had enlisted in Company C in 1861 was at that time a prisoner-of-war at Andersonville along with another brother who had joined the 1st Michigan cavalry and who died at Andersonville; Peter would survive.)
Andrew joined the Regiment on March 27, was absent sick from May 1, and was probably still absent sick when he was transferred to Company F, 5th Michigan Infantry upon consolidation of the 3rd and 5th Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864. Andrew was discharged on June 27, 1865, from Harewood hospital in Washington, DC
After the war Andrew returned to western Michigan eventually settling in Sparta, Kent County where he resided for many years.
Andrew married Michigan native Harriet E. “Hattie” Calkins (b. 1847) on March 31, 1869, in Algoma, Kent County, and they had at least six children: John (b. 1870), Bertie, possibly also known as Clifford (b. 1875), Blanche (b. 1879, Mrs. James Boone), Gladys (Mrs. Friend, Myrtle (Mrs. Ostergram), and Mrs. Jenkins. One of the witnesses was George Powers of Kent County; he was probably the same George Powers who had served in the Old 3rd Michigan Infantry and who also lived in Sparta.
In 1870 Andrew was working as a farm laborer and living with his wife and infant son on his parent’s farm in Sparta; his brother Peter lived next door. By 1880 Andrew was working as a farmer and living with his wife and children next door to his parents; his parents lived next door. By 1900 and 1910 Andrew and Hattie were still living in Sparta. By 1911, however, he was living at 26 Shawmut in Grand Rapids. By 1920 Andrew was back living in Sparta and he and Harriet were living on Alma Street; also living with them was their son John.
Andrew was a member of the Old 3rd Michigan Infantry Association. In 1901 he applied for and received a pension (no. 797391).
He died a widower of arteriosclerosis at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Boone, at 211 Hall Street in Grand Rapids on March 30, 1930, and the funeral was held at the daughter’s residence at 1:30 p.m. and at the Baptist church in Sparta, at 2:30 p.m., presumably on April 2. He was buried in Myers cemetery, Sparta.
His widow applied for and received a pension (no. 557664).