Adam Clark Tuttle was born in 1838 in New York, the son of Stephen (b. 1801) and Clarinda (b. 1810).
Canadian-born Stephen married New York native Clarinda, probably in New York where they lived for many years. By 1850 “Adam C.” was attending school with his siblings and living with his family in Batavia, Genesee County, New York. By 1860 Stephen had moved his family to a farm in Carmel, Eaton County, Michigan. In any case, A. Clark left New York and had settled in western Michigan by the time war had broken out.
He was 22 years old and possibly living in Clinton County when he enlisted in Company D on May 13, 1861 (and was possibly related to Andrew Tuttle of Ionia County and who also enlisted in Company D). Clark was a hospital attendant in July and August of 1862, absent sick in the hospital from April of 1864 through May, and was mustered out on June 20, 1864, at Detroit.
After he was discharged from the army Clark returned to Michigan. He was married to Ohio native Mary (1844-1913), and they may have one child: Jeannie (1865-69).
By 1870 he was working as a carpenter and living with his wife in West Windsor, Eaton County; and by 1880 he was listed as married, and working as a “saw mill man” and boarding with the George Southworth family in Potterville, Eaton County. By 1888 he was living in Ingham County, in Lansing in 1890 and Windsor, Eaton County in 1894. By 1920 he was living with his nephew Charles Tuttle and his wife Florence in Windsor.
In 1880 he applied for and received a pension (no. 250706).
Clark was probably a widower when he died of vascular hypertension on January 24, 1922, in Windsor and was buried in West Windsor cemetery next to his wife.