Thursday, July 23, 2009

Ezra W. Lewis updated 31 December 2021

Ezra W. Lewis was born around 1840 in Ohio, the son of Abraham Lewis (1805-c.1847) and Elida VanPatten.

Abraham and Elida had three sons while living in Lower Sandusky, Ohio: John Henry (born on September 28, 1835), Charles Washington (born March 14, 1838) and Ezra W. (born circa 1840).v In 1845 the family moved to Michigan, living first in Ingham County and ultimately settling in Kent County. When Abraham died circa 1847, the family was split up, John Henry being apprenticed to a Mr. Young, Charles moving in with Peter and Sarah J. Smith in Ashland (Newaygo County), Ruama marrying Canadian native Thomas H. Smith (who had been born to Jessy and Elizabeth Smith in 1826) and Ezra going to live with the David and Rachel Smith family. By 1850, Ruama and Ezra were both living in Walker, Kent County, Michigan. By 1860, Ruama and Thomas Smith had moved to the village of Muskegon.

In 1850 Ezra was attending school and living with the David Smith family in Walker, Kent County. Next door lived Hiram Blood and his family; Hiram, too, would join the 3rd Michigan.

Ezra was 21 years old and probably living in Muskegon County when he enlisted in Company H on May 6, 1861; he was possibly related to John Lewis and/or Smith Lewis both of whom also enlisted in Company H. (Company H, formerly the “Muskegon Rangers,” was made up largely of men from the vicinity of Muskegon and Newaygo counties.)

Ezra was with the regiment at Camp Hampton, Old Point Comfort, Fortress Monroe, on March 28, 1862, when he wrote to his sister Ruama. 

It is with great pleasure that I sit down to write to you a few words of importance. I am very thankful for being permitted the privilege of occupying a few leisure moments in writing to you through a token of friendship and relative acquaintance, informing you that I am well at present. I hope those few lines will find you in the same Situation.

Everything is lovely. The sun shines bright. The robins and other spring birds are busily flying around our camp, telling us that Spring is near. Our soldiers are all in good spirits, waiting very anxiously for the opportunity of trying the operation of accomplishing the undertaking of putting down this rebellion. This rebellion is nearly crushed and we, the great American people of the government, we are capable of putting down this rebellion, for we volunteered our service for that purpose. We can do it. We will do, it and that immediately, for we are the boys that fear no noise. I am proud to inform you that the Stars and Stripes now flows freely over every Southern enemy state but one. I am for one willing to flare the Stars and Stripes in their face, let them be as highly insulted as they will. My motto is death to the traitors and destruction of the Southern territories. They have seceded from the Union, but when old Abe says go for them, fetch them back in the union, his orders shall be strictly obeyed, let the consequence be what it will.

Lieutenant Ryan has just returned to camp. We were all glad to see him. Before he went away I requested him to call and see you. I thought you would like to hear from the [Muskegon] Rangers, for the Rangers are glad to hear from you in return; especially those who were acquainted with Tommey. I think if the Muskegon company returns home again, it will be very apt to raise the market of whiskey. Tell Mr. Roberts to buy lo and keep a good supply. But seeing that you have been so kind and affectionate to me, I shall never more disgrace you in the drinking line. So please excuse and forgive a brother soldier, for you are in remembrance of a true hearted affectionate brother.

Lieutenant Ryan said when you gave him those things to give to me you felt very down hearted. I return to you my sincere thanks for those presents which you have made me. But please don’t care [worry] for me for if I am so unfortunate as to get killed for you and the gallant citizens of the North, I am willing to suffer the consequences, let it be death or anything else. Samuel Holmes sends you his kind respects and says please excuse drunkenness.

Lieutenant Ryan sends his kind respects and wishes you a long and happy life. I send you my kind respects and wish you the same as Lieutenant Ryan. I am very anxious to hear from you. I am in such a hurry to hear from you that I cannot hardly wait for an answer. So, bear it in mind, for I remain your humble brother Ezra W. Lewis. Give my best respects to Tommey and the children. So good bye


And from Camp Scott, near Yorktown, Virginia, he wrote on April 18, 1862 he wrote

Dear Sister.

I received your affectionate, welcomed letter dated April the 9th. It found me in good health. I remain in hopes those few lines will find you in the same situation. I have nothing of any importance to write which I think would interest you. We have finally succeeded in reaching the strongly fortified enimous [enemy’s] place called Yorktown. This place is strongly fortified with batteries extending the distance of ten miles. The enemy has concentrated [at] this place with great rapidity since our approach. Their force here at Yorktown is estimated at one hundred and twenty-five thousand troops, besides an immense quantity of artillery and cavalry. If we succeed in taking this point, which I am very confident we will, we can confidently bid farewell to the rebellious traitors, which will be cowardly and disgracefully driven from their own native soil of Virginia. We have been cannonading for three days in succession. Occasionally now and then light infantry would meet with an engagement. The contest would end by the rebels falling back under their forts.

When we get them routed from this unacquainted hole, I think it quite difficult for them to make another stand with any confidence of holding their position.

Our regiment has been very fortunate. We have not lost many men but still we have passed a great many narrow escapes before and since the battle of Bull Run in July 21st, eighteen sixty-one. Fernando Page in company K while stationed on picket was struck by a bombshell, cutting off both feet just above [illegible] ankle. He is still alive but suffers great pain. This young man is a brother to John Page who married Eliza Jane Smith, one of David Smith’s daughters. I have received letters from Eliza Jane and Catherine Smith since my enlistment. Everything is lovely. The sun shines bright. The soft winds gently blow through the green forests of Virginia. A more beautiful day I have never yet experienced.

I was very sorry to hear of Helen’s unfortunate condition, that she had met with the loss of her husband. For her good I hope it is a false report, for it is a pity for a young lady situated as she is to meet with such a loss. Poor unfortunate girl. How she is to be pitied: left in this wide world a widow only at the age of sixteen. Tell Helen not to mourn for Jack, for we wish for her to understand that if the report is true he died through a noble and just cause, but many a fine lad will fare the same fate.

Ruama, I am under great obligations to you for the kindness you have shown me since my departure. If I am so fortunate as to pass through the dangers of war, if I succeed in returning safely home, I hope I shall have the pleasure of repaying you for your kindness. Please give my love to Helen. Tell Charles that he by my consent can have Mary. I will run the risk of getting Helen. Give my respects to the family. So good bye from an affectionate brother. Ezra W. Lewis.


Ezra was on detached service from July of 1862 through October, and may have been wounded at Fair Oaks, Virginia, on May 31, 1862. (In 1890 he claimed to have been wounded in the left knee joint by a musket ball.) Ezra was sick in the hospital from June of 1863 through December, a cook in the Regimental hospital in February and March of 1864, and was mustered out on June 20, 1864, at Detroit. No pension seems to be available.

Following his discharge Ezra returned to western Michigan. By 1890 he was residing in Ferrysburg, Ottawa County.

Ezra was possibly residing in Muskegon when he was arrested in September of 1893 in Muskegon, “charged,” wrote the Muskegon Chronicle of September 14, 1893, “with a loathsome offense.” Apparently, Lewis was drunk when the unspoken crime was committed. “It seems,” the paper reported, “that Lewis was a brave soldier and once a good citizen but that drink became his bane and led to his downfall. He is the man who carried Major [William L.] Ryan off the battlefield when he was severely wounded.” Lewis pled guilty, and “Judge Dickerman gave him some sound advice and sentenced him to four months’ hard labor in Ionia house of corrections.”

There is no further record.

[letters from John Braden]

No comments: