George Philo Taylor was born on October 9, 1837, in Ypsilanti, Washtenaw County, Michigan, the son of Levi (born 1792 in Vermont, died 1871) and Lucy Reed (born 1798 in New York).
Levi married Lucy in 1818 in Gorham, Ontario County, New York, and by 1819 they were living in Lewiston, Niagara County. They moved to Lockport in Niagara County sometime before 1824 and resided there until at least 1828.
Between 1828 and 1837 they moved to Michigan settling in Ypsilanti by the time George and his twin brother William were born. Levi eventually settled in Ionia County, in Cass Township by 1840 and by 1850 was working a a farm in Ionia Township, where George attended school with his siblings. In 1860 George was a student living in Ionia, Ionia County, possibly with his older brother Palmer and his family, where his brother worked as a carpenter. Their parents lived just a few houses away.
George was 22 years old and residing in Ionia when he enlisted in Company E on May 13, 1861. (Company E was composed in large part by men from Clinton and Ingham counties, as well as parts of Ionia County.) George was reported Regimental Bandmaster in May of 1862, but following the abolition of Regimental bands in the Army of the Potomac in the summer of 1862, George was designated as a hospital steward on August 1, 1862, at Harrison’s Landing, Virginia. He was mustered out on June 20, 1864, at Detroit.
After his discharge George returned to Michigan.
He was married to Michigan native Hannah Beckwith (b. 1842) and they had at least one child: Jean (b. 1868).
By 1870 George was working as a farmer and living with his wife and child in Ionia, Ionia County; next door lived George’s parents. (Levi died in Ionia in 1871.) By 1880 George was a widower and working as a physician and living with his daughter Jean in the village of Loveland, Larimer County, Colorado; also living with them was his mother-in-law Jean Beckwith. His widowed mother Lucy was still living in Ionia, Ionia County in 1880.
No pension seems to be available.
He died in April of 1882 and was buried in Lakeside Cemetery, Loveland, Colorado.