Guilford Dudley Taylor was born on June 1, 1847, in either Vermontville, Franklin County, New York or in Hermon, St. Lawrence County, New York, the son of Vermonters David (b. 1812) and Nancy (Van Kamp, b. 1807).
The family moved to Michigan sometime between 1847 and 1850 when David and his family had settled in Wright, Ottawa County where he worked as a blacksmith. By 1860 Guilford was a farmer living with his parents in Polkton, Ottawa County.
Guilford stood 5’4” with brown eyes and hair and a dark complexion and was 14 years old and probably still living in Polkton when he enlisted in Company C on May 13, 1861. He was discharged on October 21, 1861, at Fort Richardson, Virginia, for “general debility” and “deformity of right elbow of long standing caused by fall from horse 10 years since, [which] produced fracture of joint.”
After he left the army Guilford returned to Ottawa County, probably to the family home in Coopersville, Polkton Township.
He married Lucy A. Randall (1845-1934), on December 3, 1866, in Coopersville and they had at least four children: Percy (b. 1868), Adda (b. 1873), Fanny (1876-1895) and Guilford (b. 1896). Lucy was the sister of Charles Randall also of the 3rd Michigan.
Guildford was probably living in Polkton in September of 1869 when his son Percy. By 1870 he was working as a shoemaker and living with his father in Polkton, Ottawa County, and Lucy is living with her parents in Coopersville -- also living with her is a 6-year-old boy named Charles Randall, probably named after her brother who died during the war. Guilford was living in Polkton in September of 1873 when his daughter Adda died of dysentery.
By 1880 Guilford was working as a sailor and living with his wife and children with his father-in- in Coopersville. In 1920 Guilford was living with his wife Lucy and their son Guilford in Coopersville. It is quite likely Guilford lived in Coopersville the rest of his life.
He was a member of the 3rd Michigan Infantry Association, and of the Grand Army of the Republic Randall post. no. 238 in Coopersville (close to Charles Randall in fact), and he received a pension (no. 389732) dated June 6, 1888, increased to $30.00 per month in 1918, and to $72.00 per month in 1924.
Guilford died on Sunday February 9, 1930, in Coopersville. Funeral services were held at the family resident on Wednesday. The service was conducted by the Rev. Joseph Tuma who spoke on Titus 6:7. Horace Walcott and Lester Westover sang “The Old Rugged Cross” and “Nearer my God to Thee.” Guilford was buried in Coopersville cemetery.
In late February of 1930 his widow was living in Michigan when she applied for a pension (no. 1661926) but the certificate was never granted.