Monday, March 24, 2008

Miles Chubb

Miles Chubb was born June 15, 1840, in Blissfield, Lenawee County, Michigan, the son of Uriah (b. 1812) and Jane (Johnson, 1812-1849).

New York natives Uriah and Jane were married in 1829 in Steuben County, New York. They left New York and eventually settled in Lenawee County, Michigan, and Uriah was reported to be living in Blissfield, Lenawee County in 1840 and 1845. After his wife died in 1849, Uriah placed Miles with relatives living in Livingston County and by 1850 9-year-old Miles Chubb Jr. was living with the Crandel family next door to a Major Chubb (b. 1811 in New York) and his family in Putnam, Livingston County; Miles Chubb (b. 1815), possible another of Uriah's brothers, and his wife Caroline and their children were living in Marion, Livingston County. That same year Uriah was living next door to yet another brother Lorenzo in Chester, Ottawa County; living with Uriah were two teen-aged children, Samuel and Sarah who were both reported as deaf and dumb.

By 1853 Uriah had settled in Tyrone, Kent County where he was living when he married his second wife Abigail (Shriner, 1821-1878). Miles probably rejoined his father in Tyrone, Kent County sometime in the early 1850s, but by 1860 he was listed as working “by the month” and living in Norton, Muskegon County.

Miles stood 5’10” with black eyes, dark hair and a dark complexion and was 20 years old and probably still living in Muskegon County when he enlisted in Company H on June 10, 1861. (Company H, formerly the “Muskegon Rangers”, was made up largely of men from the vicinity of Muskegon and Newaygo counties.)

Miles was reported sick in a hospital from August through September of 1862, but eventually rejoined the regiment. In fact, according to a statement he made in 1894 he was wounded in the left hand by a gunshot during the battle of Groveton on August 29,was subsequently hospitalized at Douglas Hospital in Washington, DC, on September 1, transferred to the General Hospital in Annapolis on September 14 and eventually returned to duty.

He was reported as a Sergeant by the time he was admitted to the regimental hospital in August of 1863 suffering from intermittent fever.

By the time he reenlisted on December 23 1863, at Brandy Station, Virginia, crediting Muskegon, Muskegon County, he had been promoted to Sergeant. Soon after he reenlisted Miles returned home to western Michigan on veterans’ furlough in January of 1864.

While home on furlough he married Michigan native Julia E. Thurston (1843-1885), and they had at least two children, May (d. 1868, age 1 year), and Cecil C. (1868-1911). Julia was the daughter of Daniel and Eliza Thurston who were living in Chester, Ottawa County in 1850. She was also probably the sister of Samuel Thurston who also served in the Third Michigan.

Miles returned to the regiment on or about the first of February of 1864, and was transferred to Company A, Fifth Michigan infantry upon consolidation of the Third and Fifth Michigan Regiments on June 10, 1864. He was promoted to First Sergeant and then to Second Lieutenant of Company F in February of 1865, commissioned November 27, 1864, and transferred to Company F on February 22, 1865, replacing Lieutenant Benson. He was mustered out of service on July 5, 1865 at Jeffersonville, Indiana.

After the war Miles returned to western Michigan, and was working as a merchant and living with his wife Julia and their son Cecil in Lisbon, Kent County in 1870 (also living with them was one Franklin Thurston, probably Julia’s brother, who was also working as a merchant). By 1873 Miles was in Bailey, Casnovia Township, Muskegon County operating a store on Main Street. In the late 1870s Miles, then still living in Bailey, was a member of the Good Templars Lodge in Bailey.

(Around that same Time Uriah Chubb was also living in Casnovia Township near Bailey; he was a member of the Tyrone Grange -- along with Mortimer Bonner who also served in the Old Third -- and whose members were made up of men from both Kent as well as Muskegon counties.)

By 1875 Miles was living in Muskegon, by 1880 was working as a farmer in Tyrone and apparently back in Casnovia in 1886 when he became a member of the Grand Army of the Republic Lamson Bonner Post No. 306 in Casnovia. For many years he worked as a sawyer and farmer.

Miles’ first wife died of breast cancer in 1885 and the following year he married her sister, Michigan native Louisa Thurston (1848-1904), on July 1, 1886 in Grand Rapids. (Louisa had divorced her first husband Elisha Chester in 1870, charging him with desertion.) They had at least one child: Alvah Julian (b. 1890).

Miles worked as a lumberman for some years and was living in Bailey in 1891.

Sometime around 1900 the Third Michigan Infantry Association attempted an all-inclusive roster of members present and past, and one “A.L.” Chubb from Lisbon was listed as a regular member not as an honorary member (which was reserved for family and friends of the Association).

By 1890 Miles had moved to White Cloud, Newaygo County but had returned to Casnovia by 1894, and he may have been living in Casnovia or Lisbon shortly before his death around 1904.

In August of 1889 Miles applied for and received a pension (no. 506369).

Miles was possibly a widower when he died of anemia on October 25, 1904, presumably at his home in Bailey; although, he was buried in Lisbon cemetery, Kent County: lot 80, grave no. 5. (Louisa is buried in the same lot as Miles.)

In December of 1884 one Rose Chubb (possibly Miles’ sister Rosetta), was listed as the guardian for a minor child when she applied for and received a pension (no. 622,944).

No comments: